Alexander Wang releases response to sexual assault claims via Instagram
Designer Alexander Wang has denied accusations of sexual assault claims in multiple statements.
The accusations began online when fashion industry whistle blowers Shit Model Management and Diet Prada shared a number of stories of alleged sexual harassment and abuse.
The accusations, many of them anonymous, include a statement from model Owen Mooney, who said in a series of TikTok videos that Wang groped his genitals at a New York nightclub in 2017.
Other allegations claim that Wang drugged people with MDMA-laced water; pressured people to drink; touched their genitals or attempted to perform oral sex without consent. One anonymous person claimed Wang raped their friend.
Wang first responded on December 31 in a statement widely circulated among the media, in which he called the accusations "baseless and grotesquely false."
“Seeing these lies about me being perpetuated as truths has been infuriating," the designer, 37, said. "I have never engaged in the atrocious behaviour described and would never conduct myself in the manner that’s been alleged."
"I intend to get to the bottom of this and hold accountable whoever is responsible for originating these claims and viciously spreading them online.”
On January 4, the designer released another statement on his Instagram.
"I'd like to take the opportunity to connect directly with the people who have followed and supported this brand and me over the years and address the recent false, fabricated and mostly anonymous accusations against me," the designer said.
"These baseless allegations were started on social media by sites which repeatedly disregarded the value and importance of evidence or fact checking. My team is doing everything in its power to investigate these claims and I promise to remain honest and transparent throughout that process. I am fortunate to have received an overwhelming amount of support over the last few days and am thankful to those standing by my side at this time."
This isn't the first time Wang has been accused of sexual misconduct. Some online accusations date back to as early as 2017, including previous claims that Wang targeted trans women.
In the aftermath of the latest accusations, Model Alliance—a research, policy & advocacy organization for those working in the fashion industry—published a statement standing in solidarity with accusers.
"We at the Model Alliance stand in solidarity with those who have shared accusations of sexual abuse by Alexander Wang," the organization said.
"Let's be clear: The fashion industry's lack of transparency and accountability leaves all models vulnerable to abuse, regardless of their sex or gender identity.
On January 4, attorney Lisa Bloom announced she would be representing several men accusing Wang of assault. A self-proclaimed women's rights advocate and the daughter of Gloria Allred, Bloom previously helped get Bill O'Reilly kicked off of Fox News over sexual harassment claims.
In a move that surprised many, she also represented disgraced film producer and convicted rapist Harvey Weinstein, later resigning as his adviser.
Copyright © 2022 FashionNetwork.com All rights reserved.